|6th Radioactivity, Radionuclides & Radiation Training Course with Nuclides.net|
The 6th European Commission sponsored training course on Radioactivity, Radionuclides and Radiation with Nuclides.net was held at the Nuclear Training Centre of the Jozef Stefan Institute in Ljubljana, Slovenia from the 14th to 16th of September, 2005.
Did you know that ...
Recent developments on the Oklo nuclear geyser, laser transmutation (download below), nuclear forensic science and radiation hormesis were just a few of the special topics covered at the sixth Nuclear Science training course with Nuclides.net.
- a natural nuclear reactor operated underground in Central Africa around two billion years ago?
- compact, high power lasers can now be used as intense sources of nuclear radiation in the laboratory?
- a seemingly innocuous black cube ("Haigerloch" cube) was recently identified as uranium from Germany's covert nuclear reactor programme during the Second World War?
- 75,000 patients are treated annually by inhaling high concentrations of radon gas in underground healing galleries such as Bad Gastein in Austria?
What made this course unique was the emphasis on interactive and hands-on learning through the use of Nuclides.net - a powerful and versatile web-based software package for calculations on radio-nuclides and their radiation. With examples, exercises and dedicated case studies in Nuclides.net, a whole variety of core and topical issues in nuclear science and technology were presented by experts in their respective fields.
Programs and Topics discussed...
- Basic Concepts in Nuclear Science: History, radioactive decay, nuclear reactions, nuclide charts
- Interaction of Radiation with Matter: Range of charged particle & photos in materials, biological effects of ionising radiation, radiation hormesis & LNT model
- Reference Data: atomic masses, decay data, crosssections, fission yields
- Case Studies with Nuclides.net
- Nuclear Forensic Science/Illicit Trafficking/Safeguards
- Nuclear Science with High Intensity Lasers
- Environmental Radioactivity
- Radio-immunotherapy with E-emitters
- Storage/Transportation of Radioactive Materials
- Radioactive Waste Management & Decommissioning